A Few of My Accomplishments
- Wrote the first Park Master Plan in 1987.
- Served 20 years on the Parks and Recreation Commission. During my tenure we built 43 new parks in Folsom.
- Named Outstanding California Park Commissioner in 2002 by the California Park and Recreation Society.
- Ernie Sheldon Park named in my honor for outstanding dedication to Folsom parks and the City of Folsom and I’m still living.
- Proposed the Folsom Aquatic Center and did the organizing and research leading to council approval.
- Proposed the value of purchasing the Folsom Sports Complex and established the funding proposal which the council approved. Final payment was made in January 2013.
- Fund raised $700,000 for the remodel of the Livermore Youth Football Field.
- Proposed and researched the feasibility of retaining the fire station and remodeling it into the current Senior and Arts Cultural Center.
- Spearheaded planning, designing and construction of the Folsom Veterans Memorial.
- Sole fundraiser for the Veterans Day Parade which grew from 23 participants to 2900 under my guidance.
- Served as Library Commissioner and was original Director of the Friends of Folsom Library.
- Participated with the Folsom Cordova Unified School District in finishing one high school, building a new one and modernizing many of our older elementary schools.
- Was a signer of Bond Measure G.
- Executive Director of the Folsom Athletic Association-raised over $1,000,000 for Folsom recreational activities and facilities and awarded $80,000 worth of scholarships for high school seniors. Raised more than $300,000 profits from Fireworks sales for Folsom youth sports groups.
ERNIE SHELDON (1934-2020)
Folsom City Councilmember and Vice Mayor